Saturday, July 2, 2011

It's Food not Foodies in Isaan

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic(click on thumbnail to view full size) I see Photos of Isaan and Thai food for that matter that in no way resembles the food I eat daily in Isaan. I see the "I Love Somtam" sites or whatever and wonder what would happen if some of those people ever visited Isaan, what they would say. Even here in Isaan there is a range of somtams on the table. In a given town or village there might be any number of somtam sellers and everyone in the village will have their favorite. If you are a regular the stall will know your preferences and "designer somtam" is on the way. In my case my locals know I like plenty of tomatoes and that's how I get it.
The same thing is true of most Isaan and Thai foods. Laap (click on thumbnail to view full size) Share photos on twitter with Twitpicanother Isaan regular is different from shop to shop. You have to remember that Isaan people "Live to eat" not "Eat to live".Share photos on twitter with Twitpic (click on thumbnail to view full size) Food is a social event whether with family or friends or friends and family. Share photos on twitter with Twitpic(click on thumbnail to view full size) There are as many different marinades for gai yaang as there are villages in Isaan.
I don't know if there is a correct way to do any Isaan or Thai food, all I do know is I can enjoy meal at 1 place and find it completely unbearable at another.
If you come to Isaan learn to try the same thing at more than 1 place. What you might not like at restaurant, or food stall 1, you might find more to your liking elsewhere.
I've made myself hungry, Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment